We decided to go to Disneyland today.. we thought we'd be unique and go on Halloween... So did EVERYBODY else. :) It was great fun though, but on the way there Adam decided we should expand the fun by going to the "2 happiest places on earth" ie. McDonald's for breakfast followed by D land. When we got to McDonalds EVERY parking spot was taken, so I convinced him to eat in the car while I drove. (this is SO unlike Adam to give up control of the wheel and suffer in the passenger seat to my- speed up/ slow down antics). He consented and we're off. On the way there we took the 5 and for those of you unfamiliar to LA streets- It's a veritable nightmare of uneven roads, and spaghetti bowls at every turn.
One such area was where the 10, 5 and 60 split. We ended up on this overpass area, and then you drop down and curve tot he left. As I'm driving I was following a semi pulling a second tralier on the 3 lanes. He and I were in the middle. I had the thought. I should scoot over one, so I went right since the left lane would be leaving to become another freeway. As we crested the overpass part and started downward we saw the back half of the semi lean, and there it went. SOOO lucky we weren't on it's right side, because that's where it fell on it's side. The back half drug the right half for a minute, and then the driver was able to regain control, and pull to the right shoulder only blocking 1 of the 2 lanes now left on our freeway.
The smell is what I remember most. It's just burning rubber and sparks from the dragging semi. We made sure the driver was ok, and then sped off glad to not be further back in traffic and stuck till they could right the trailing tractor. Really I was just REALLY glad we weren't 2 seconds faster. That semi would have come right down on the car. Thank you small miracles.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
2 seconds faster
Posted by Kelsey at 3:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Scary!
Wow! That's unbelievable! I'm glad everyone was alright. The freeways are scary aren't they. Hope you had a fun time at Disneyland despite the crowds. We'd love to meet you there sometimes. Just let us know when you'll be down.
THANK YOU BIG MIRACLES!
Sister Jepsen, I always said these things happen to you because you tell such good stories. BUT I meant, you know, getting bit by the dog, falling down a man-hole . . .
I'm so glad you are all okay! Thank you BIG MIRACLES.
These are the kind of stories that give grandmothers nightmares. We are so - so grateful that you three escaped that one. Take care - it's a ZOO out there.
Ann
Post a Comment